Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Breakup

My mom and I went to see the movie The Breakup yesterday. I really enjoyed the movie, except it didn't end the way I pictured it happening. I am the type who loves a happy ending, and this one was happy (I guess), jut not the happy I wanted. I find Vince Vaughn adorable with his think-out-loud demeanor and Jennifer Aniston is a beautiful woman and a great actress.
All through the movie though, I thought about my own breakup with hubs. It was the spring I graduated college (2001) and hubs and I had been dating for a few years already. He was not giving me what I thought I needed at that time, so I broke it off with him. He was devastated, I was devastated, yet there we were, separated.
I met up with a guy I had gone on a couple of double dates with years before, and we decided to give it another go. We spent the summer going out and partying, ball games and the like. He lived in Lincoln, so I would go down to visit frequently.
I was convinced in my head that what I was doing was the right thing and I would get over hubs sooner or later. I knew that this thing with Lincoln guy was the best thing for me and that he was better than hubs. The whole summer, I was happy on the outside, but miserable on the inside.
Well, Lincoln guy and I ended up not making it through the summer (he ditched me and left me dateless before a friend's wedding) and after a couple more weeks, I came to my senses and called hubs. We got back together and got married the summer after I completed grad school.
Looking back, I know that God was giving me not so subtle hints that what I was doing was the wrong thing, and that I was missing out on someone special. He led me back to my hubs, and I thank Him everyday for the wisdom and courage to ask forgiveness of someone I hurt so badly.

1 comment:

Diana said...

*I didn't like the way it ended, either!*